Principal contractor “put lives at risk”
A Gloucester firm, which was acting as a principal contractor on a large refurbishment project, has been sentenced for safety failings after renovation work at her home left an elderly tenant at risk from a dangerous gas heater.
This was discovered when two Gas Safe engineers called at the house some time later to carry out a routine annual service of the gas appliances. The engineers found the gas-powered warm air unit at the property had been left in a dangerous condition as a result of the refurbishment work which had been carried out.
It was found that essential combustion ventilation required for the gas power unit had been cladded over and the flue had been removed and the roof fitted over the top, leaving it to discharge into the loft.
The principal contractor responsible for the refurbishment project was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3587 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.