Health and Safety spot checks and Inspections during coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) intends to undertake spot checks and inspections on all types of businesses in all areas to ensure that they are COVID-secure.
They will be making calls so they can give expert advice on how to manage the risks and protect workers, customers and visitors. They will be working closely with local authorities, to assist them in the sectors that the local authorities regulate such as hospitality and retail.
By calling and visiting premises and speaking directly to employers, they will take a view on the measures employers have put in place, to ensure that they are in line with current government guidance.
HSE Inspectors will make COVID-secure checks as part of their normal role when undertaking workplace visits during the pandemic. To ensure that as many workplaces are contacted as possible nationally, and to support the core work of the HSE inspectors, they will be working with trained and approved partners to deliver the spot check calls and visits.
The approved partners / officers that will visit premises will be carrying identification from their business and a letter of authorisation from the HSE. If you wish to verify an officer that calls or visits your organisation, please call 0300 790 6896.
If you receive a call or visit, you should participate in the spot check as failure to do so could lead to enforcement action.
As well as participating in the phone calls and visits, there are sensible and proportionate steps that you should take to help keep your workplace COVID-secure, which will be reviewed during the call or visit
- Carry out a workplace Covid 19 risk assessment, communicate to all members of staff and retain a record
- Maintain your workplace with regards to social distancing
- Display suitable signage to remind all of the control measures required whilst in the workplace
- Keep the workplace clean by introducing and maintaining regular cleaning and by promoting good hand washing techniques
- Review your control measures and risk assessment on a regular basis, paste the following into your browser to find out the most recent changes regarding Covid-19 controls to assist you.